Beilstein is located in the Cochem-Zell district of Rheinland-Pfalz, Southwestern Germany. Finds from Frankish graves show that it’s been settled since AD 800. It was granted town privileges in 1309 by Heinrich VII. In the 17th & 18th centuries, the village’s appearance took on the shape that it still largely retains today. In 1794, French Revolutionary troops occupied the region. In 1815 Beilstein was assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia. Since 1946, it’s been part of Rheinland-Pfalz. It has one of the best preserved historical appearances on the Mosel and is thus sometimes called a mini Rothenburg ob der Tauber or Dornröschen der Mosel (Sleeping Beauty of the Moselle). Towering above the village are the ruins of Castle Metternich, which once belonged to the like-named noble family. Each year in July & August, the Beilsteiner Märchensommer (Fairytale Summer) is held, at which the theatre from Cochem produces fairy tales at the winegrowing museum. Always opening and closing the series of events is a traditional version of the Brothers Grimm’s “Sleeping Beauty”, in keeping with one of the village’s nicknames.