Birth house of Gottlieb Daimler of Daimler-Benz/Mercedes fame,…

Birth house of Gottlieb Daimler of Daimler-Benz/Mercedes fame, built in 1695, in the Höllgasse in Schorndorf, Baden-Württemberg, Southwestern Germany

Sonnenuntergang am Steinhuder Meer. Das Steinhuder Meer is a…

Sonnenuntergang am Steinhuder Meer. Das Steinhuder Meer is a large lake in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony), Northern Germany, located 30 km northwest of the state capital Hannover. It has an area of 30 square km, making it the largest lake of northwestern Germany, but it is very shallow, with an average depth of only 1.35 m and a max depth of less than 3 m. It lies within a region known as the Hanoverian Moor Geest. The lake has 2 islands: Wilhelmstein off Hagenburg was built in the 1700s and first served as a military fortress and military school, then a state prison. Die Badeinsel Steinhude was built in 1975 and has a sandy beach which is popular with summer guests. It’s accessible via an 80m pedestrian bridge from Steinhude.

willkommen-in-germany: Das Schloss Berlepsch in Witzenhausen,…

willkommen-in-germany:

Das Schloss Berlepsch in Witzenhausen, Hessen, Central Germany is one of the outstanding historical buildings of the region. 650 years ago, the Berlepsch family built it – its foundation goes back to 1369. The medieval fortifications were repeatedly expanded and reconstructed in the 16th century after its destruction in the Thirty Years War. Especially the remodeling of the 1880s shaped its visual appearance today. Already from a distance, the visitor is presented the striking silhouette of the castle picturesquely situated on a mountain spur at the edge of the Werra river valley. Weddings and other events are held here. Opening hours are Wed-Sun/holidays from 12-21h; guided tours: Wed-Fri at 3 pm, Sat/Sun/holidays: 12h, 14h & 16h. Official site: http://www.schlossberlepsch.de/ 

Der Briefkasten — a nice old-fashioned letter box in Güstrow,…

Der Briefkasten — a nice old-fashioned letter box in Güstrow, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Northeastern Germany. The town is known for its renaissance palace, its Altstadt (old town), and its brick gothic cathedral with Barlach’s Floating Angel sculpture. The town’s name comes from the Polabian Guščerov, meaning „lizard place“. (Hmm. 🤔) In 1219, a Wendish castle was built where the renaissance palace stands now. The town is said to have been founded by Heinrich Borwin II, a grandson of Heinrich dem Löwen (Henry the Lion).