Aurich in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony), Northern Germany. Its beginnings as a town date back to the 13th century, when „Aurechove“ was first mentioned in a document. In 1517, it was rebuilt after an attack and the town center was established — it is still in place today. In 1539, Aurich was made the county capital. Ostfriesland (East Frisia) was inherited by the Kingdom of Prussia in 1744. After the Prussian Army was defeated, Aurich became part of the Kingdom of Holland in 1808. In 1810, the Kingdom of Holland was annexed by France and Aurich was made the capital of the department Ems-Oriental of the French Empire. After Napoleon was defeated in 1814, it passed to the Kingdom of Hannover in 1815, then was annexed by Prussia in 1866 and made part of the Province of Hannover. After WW2, it became part of the new state of Lower Saxony and this is what it has been since.