Church and cemetary in Oeversee, Schleswig-Holstein. Northern Germany. Oeversee (Danish: Oversø) is situated about 10 km south of Flensburg near the Danish border. The area was the place of many battles between Germans and Danes. The village of Oeversee-Sankelmark witnessed a battle between Austrian and Danish forces in the Second Schleswig War of 1864. Between 1460 and 1864, nearby Flensburg was, after Copenhagen, the 2nd-largest port in the Kingdom of Denmark, but passed to the Kingdom of Prussia after this war in 1864 and has since belonged to Germany.There is still a considerable Danish community, some estimates put the percentage of Flensburgers who belong to it as high as 25%; others much lower. Before 1864, more than 70% belonged to what is now the minority, as can be seen even today by the great number of Danish surnames in the phone directory (Claussen, Jacobsen, Jensen, Petersen, etc.). The upper classes and the learned at that time mostly were German, and since 1864, the German language has prevailed in the town.