Die Rathausstraße in Leer, Niedersachsen, Northern Germany. Leer is situated in Ostfriesland on the river Leda, a tributary of the Ems, near the border with the Netherlands. It has a rail and Autobahn connection to Groningen/Netherlands, Emden, Bremen, Rheine, and the Ruhrpott. Even though the town is 30 km from the coast, it can be reached by large ships via the Ems. Historical affiliations:
*County of East Frisia 1464–1744 *Kingdom of Prussia 1744–1806 *Netherlands Kingdom of Holland 1806–1810 *First French Empire 1810–1813 *Kingdom of Prussia 1813–1815 *Kingdom of Hanover 1815–1866 *Kingdom of Prussia 1866–1871 *German Empire 1871–1918 *Weimar Republic 1918–1933 *Nazi Germany 1933–1945 *Allied-occupied Germany 1945–1949 *West Germany 1949–1990 *Germany 1990–present
Leer only suffered little damage by Allied bombing in WW2 and was occupied by Canadian troops in 1945. In 1955, it received independent city status. It’s traditionally Protestant and home to both the Lutheran and Reformed churches. The German Reformed Church has its head office here. Furthermore, Leer has an unusually large variety of smaller religious communities, esp. Baptists, Mennonites, Methodists, Adventists, and Mormons. There’s a small Roman Catholic community. The closest international airport is Bremen. About 20% of the German merchant fleet are registered here. Each year in autumn the Gallimarkt is held. Traditionally a cattle-market, it is now one of the largest fairs in Northwest Germany.