Heppenheim in Hessen, Central Germany, is romantically set on vineyards below the mediaeval Starkenburg castle. It lies about halfway between Heidelberg and Darmstadt on the border with Baden-Württemberg. In 755, it had its first documentary mention. At that time, the town was the hub of a Frankish domain. Heppenheim has had town rights since at least 1318, and market rights, it is believed, already by the early 9th century.