Storm brewing near Abbenrode. Abbenrode is a village in Sachsen-Anhalt, Eastern Germany, just north of the Harz mountains near the border with Niedersachsen. Abbenrode manor arose in the medieval Duchy of Saxony and was first mentioned in a 1129 deed issued by King Lothair III of Germany. In 1145 Bishop Rudolf of Halberstadt established a monastery of Benedictine nuns here. The abbey was devastated during the 1525 German Peasants’ War and dissolved under the rule of the Protestant Halberstadt administrator Sigismund of Brandenburg in 1554. The present-day parish church was consecrated in 1575. After WW2, the village became isolated and decayed due to its locationn close to the inner-German border. Since Reunification, it has recovered.